March 9, 2010

Design nr.1 - The Jacket

DESIGN NR. 1- for Barbie


Today I managed to make something that was supposed to look like the sketch above. Well it was a 80% failure, my sewing skills still suck, well they where never good. Hand sewed!

Woke up, took my Duck-tape Dummy, some cotton, and started cutting and arranging pieces of cotton on the dummy. Then i saw something building up, so i grabbed a piece of paper, a pen and starting sketching. I searched in my materials bag [ a small one for the moment] and found some material that belonged to a suit of mine which i destroyed it a few months ago for a dance show. Colored my sketch, took the pieces of cotton that represented "THE JACKET", and worked on the patterns. After i finished them i grabbed a testing material and i tested my patterns and they where to large so i minimized them and tested them again... perfect FIT.

Here i made a big mistake. I used cotton for my testing material. The cotton was elastic and my perfect material was not like cotton. Before i wanted to make something like an armless coat .. but because of my big mistake, after i sewed the material i realized it was not enough to cover my doll .. so i added more material and changed the sketch.

After 8 hours of work i managed to built something. Not perfect but it looks good from the distance. In the pictures below you can see the results! the white vest is the cotton version of the design ...

I apologies for the pictures qualities i'll do tomorrow better ones

As you can see I updated my dummy with a stand [tnx you mom]. Tomorrow i'll remake the patterns for this jacket with their added changes and i'll probably retry to remake the coat with a different material [no more left from the black striped one]. In the weekend i'll go and hunt for materials, a friend of mine is coming at my place and we'll go shopping [i'll look for extra needs too: zippers, buttons, magnetic clips, etc.].

Till the next post .. take care my dear Reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment